Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Thanks and a quick quick quick (plus 97 x "quick") message

Thank you everyone who took part in the tape extravaganza in critical practice today, it bought tears to my eyes. I'd like to do it again some day, so if anyone knows of people throwing out their old VHS, remember they'll go to a good grave if you bring them into university after summer break.

Now I know Charlie made a quip about me promoting my own shows on the old blog, it's true I'm an art gallery worker, I've been working in galleries for several years now and have learnt as much in my seven drunkard years as most of you will learn in one. On approaching galleries the kind of introduction we prefer is a warning before the email (unless it's an open submission in which case their will be rules that are relatively easy to follow), by warning a hello at a private view and a "is it ok if I send you some images of my work, I'd love to show at your gallery" (not the wisest words in all cases but you get the picture) a phone call, brief intro., I’ll be sending you a mail just wanted to warn you etc. just like when you're speculating for a job. The chances are still set against you but the kind of thing we like to see is . . .

click here


An easy to navigate site with all the relevant details at your finger tips, you can do the whole site in a few minutes, which is about all the time you have spare.

Anything much complicated than this and it’s not being looked at, seriously.
I worked with a curator on “No-ship” who whittled 72 possible artists down to 18, anyone with a myspace he didn’t have time to look at.

Plus the best advice is (and I don’t follow it myself) knuckle down, question your every mark, and produce work, I see lots of people on our course doing this and you guys don’t have to worry, “work will set you free”, you’ll be spending time wondering who you want to exhibit with and whether you want to work towards that particular project.

So hopefully it was helpful . . . gallery 101 part 1
Ask questions in comments, I’ll do my best to answer them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sera said...

Hi Jay,

Really enjoyed Tuesday, I thought it was fantastic! Your post was really lovely and thoughtful. Thank you

7:27 pm  
Blogger [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ said...

expect a submission for the basement at ashwin gallery from me and kirsty very soon. they r taking submission's for november arnt they? and as sarah said tuesday was very good. tape is good. from paul good.

12:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home